Friday, September 3, 2010

Why am I doing this?



Zoe and I are wrapping up our first full week of homeschool.  There's an US Weekly on the chair next to me, untouched.  And it's Friday.  That means it's been sitting there for over 24 hours.  Nothing short of a miracle.   Instead, I'm immersed in curriculum, lesson plans, and a million new books on homeschooling.   My new $14.99 three-hole puncher from Target is my new best friend. I love the swoosh sound it makes and the holes are aligned perfectly every time.  It's the small things in life. 


We finished up our history lesson on Ancient Egypt with a trip to the art museum in Raleigh. This is one reason why I'm a homeschooling fan. We're going beyond the walls. We saw a 4000 year old Egyptian coffin today. I don't know who was more excited.  I definitely had more to say this time than the usual oohhs and wows.   "See the ankh amulets each person is holding in their left hand, Zoe?"  Ankh is the Egyptian symbol for life. She made an clay ankh amulet this week.   Who was feeling like a good teacher??  Zoe's name is Greek and means "love of life".    We passed by a few Greek sculptures.  Zoe wanted to know what happened to everyone's arms.  


Yesterday, I reviewed the steps to a "scientific method" as part of our Chemistry lesson.  I asked her to tell me the steps again at bedtime and she nailed it.  Mr. McCoy, my 10th grade Chemistry teacher would spit out his drink if he knew I was teaching chemistry. Wasn't my best subject.  Zoe says our chemistry lesson was her favorite part of her day. 


I didn't think I'd ever homeschool.  And then one day, Zoe comes home from school and says she's bored.  She looks up at me and asks if I'll homeschool her.  What?!?  First of all, she's stubborn, doesn't stop talking and is beyond organized.  All of her clothes in her closet are color coordinated.  She lines up her outfits (with accessories) every night and she's been doing that since she was five.  She knows what she wants.  Her teachers loved her. Hard working, polite, but to the point.  Voted "most responsible" by her peers in 2nd grade. Getting the picture?  How was I going to challenge Zoe beyond school?  But then it was clear:  She's an excellent student.  She's responsive to direction, organized beyond her years, independent, enthusiastic and really entertaining. What eight year old comes home and asks to be homeschooled anyway?  One who thinks beyond the box. That's perfect homeschooling material.  She's the middle child, too.  We know they always get the short end of the stick.  I did.  My older sister had ADHD and my younger sister was born when I was six.  My parents were busy.  


The night before the first day of school, I was completely freaking out.  What the heck was I doing?  Zoe is smart.  She had GREAT teachers, too.  What did I know?  How could I possibly do this and keep it fresh, stimulating and challenging?  As midnight approached, and I sat at my teacher desk in our newly designed classroom/playroom, surrounded by a sea of papers, curriculum and books, I stopped. I walked over to our chalkboard wall and started writing:  "Wednesday, August 25, 2010 Welcome to Finucane Elementary, Zoe".   Then I wrote out the day's schedule.  It started pouring out of me.  All those months of preparation.   "Math Lesson 9:00-10:00.  Writing: 10:00-10:45.  Latin.  Yes, Latin.  The rest followed.  I went to bed and decided I could do it.  I would do it.  And I am.  I love it, love it, love it.  Zoe does, too.  She works hard.  This week, she often stayed with me until 5:00 finishing up her work.   It's a classical curriculum in the most classical way.  Mozart is even on Pandora.


It's Friday and I understand why teachers are so happy for that day to arrive.  All week it's lesson plans, teaching, copying, field tripping, reading and it's wonderful, but you're ready for a drink or a nap by Friday afternoon.  


Thanks to Bayonne Barbie for my nickname.  It's a keeper.  

No comments:

Post a Comment