Tuesday, September 28, 2010

No Second Guessing

If this picture is any indication of how it's going, then it's going well.   There have been days when I've asked myself if Zoe is getting the best education possible.   All of those homeschooling doubts that linger in the minds of first year homeschool Moms: "What if I'm messing up a good thing? Can I really provide her with as good if not and hopefully much better education than public school?  Is she getting enough socialization?"  

And then I think about it.  Yes.  She's already finish her first math workbook.  She's half way to memorizing the multiplication table, she's writing and reading like a fiend, learning Latin (and liking it!), goes to a weekly learning cooperative with other children her age, has already been on three field trips and most importantly, she's so happy.   That's the closer.  

Got a note on my desk from Zoe yesterday.  It was actually a response to a note I wrote to her:  "Zoe, please copy each (spelling) word three times.  Go across the page.  Mom"
She wrote back: Ok, Mom, love you. P.S. I love homeschooling!"

Today we worked on history for a couple of hours because we didn't follow up from last week.  I have to get the timeline in there.  She loves the maps, coloring them in and talking about which king ruled where in Egypt.  Yes, we're still on Egypt.  Mostly because I decided we'd move on when I think she's got it and history comes in sessions.  

I discovered Weekly Reader.  For the first month, I just handed it to her, asked her to read it and then answer the questions, but I finally sat down and read the Teacher's Guide.  They provide an assessment so I can see how well she's progressing.  Did the same thing with history and math today...review, review, review.  Tomorrow, back to Latin, Chemistry and the coop.   I feel like I should be more nervous.  Am I missing something? Well, if I am, I'll figure it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment