Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Brazil

So we're sitting in the classroom.  I'm folding laundry and Zoë's just finished up a bunch of math work and now she's redesigning a Calico Critters house.   We're listening to Brazilian Girls Radio on Pandora because Zoë's has just entered a Geography Fair and Brazil is her country of study.   Massive Attack from Moby comes on and I mention how that's interesting this song is on a Brazilian radio station, too.  I love the song and play it often.   Apparently it's big in Brazil, too.

As usual, Zoë has something to say about the music.

"I like this song and I kind of like listening to other kinds of music other than the stuff on the radio.   I mean, American music is all about about a ton of people falling in love, getting drunk and going to clubs.  Don't include the Black Eyed Peas though.  Except for "Humps." Brazil's music is smooth and kind of jazzy, she says.

Thanks, Zoë.  I think you've got something there.  Funny, but a little disturbing, too.  I think about explaining to her that Kesha's songs are not good ones to follow, but Zoë already knows this.  She's just sharing an observation like she always does.   I have no worries.

 We're now listening to "Your Love" by Pancha Massive.   So glad she chose Brazil.   I can see the unit study possibilities: brazilian food, videos, music, art, dance, science, math, geography and history.  There's a Brazilian steakhouse in Raleigh and Durham...

I really love teaching and learning along with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment